The Internet Society today announced that in conjunction with its 20th anniversary celebration, it is establishing an annual Internet Hall of Fame program to honor leaders and luminaries who have made significant contributions to the development and advancement of the global Internet. Inaugural inductees will be announced at an Awards Gala during the Internet Society’s Global INET 2012 conference in Geneva, Switzerland, 22-24 April 2012, www.internetsociety.org/globalinet.
The Internet Society has convened an Advisory Board to vote on the inductees for the 2012 Internet Hall of Fame inauguration. The Advisory Board is a highly-qualified, diverse, international committee that spans multiple industry segments and backgrounds. This year’s Advisory Board members include:
- Dr. Lishan Adam, ICT Development Researcher, Ethiopia
- Chris Anderson, Editor-in-Chief, WIRED
- Alex Corenthin, Directeur des Systemes d’Information, University Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar; Chair, Internet Society Senegal Chapter
- William Dutton, Professor of Internet Studies, Oxford Internet Institute
- Joichi Ito, Director, MIT Media Lab
- Mike Jensen, Independent ICT Consultant, South Africa
- Aleks Krotoski, Technology Academic/Journalist/Author
- Loic Le Meur, Founder & CEO, LeWeb
- Mark Mahaney, Internet Analyst, Citigroup
- Dr. Alejandro Pisanty, Professor at National University of Mexico; Chair of Internet Society Mexico Chapter
- Lee Rainie, Director, Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project
- Jimmy Wales, Co-founder, Wikipedia
About the Internet Hall of Fame
Founded in 2012, the Internet Hall of Fame is an ongoing awards program established by the Internet Society to recognize a distinguished and select group of leaders and luminaries who have made significant contributions to the development and advancement of the global open Internet. More information on the program can be found at www.internethalloffame.org.
About the Internet Society
The Internet Society is the trusted independent source for Internet information and thought leadership from around the world. With its principled vision and substantial technological foundation, the Internet Society promotes open dialogue on Internet policy, technology, and future development among users, companies, governments, and foundations. Working with its members and Chapters around the world, the Internet Society enables the continued evolution and growth of the Internet for everyone.